Tuesday, August 2, 2011

State of Music....

So I've been checking the Billboard Top 100 just for shits n giggles and to see what has happened to music in the past 30 years that I've been alive.  Everyone goes through the phase, I'm sure some body out there in their 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's etc... has wondered the same thing ya know?

Well a little bored curiosity got the better of me and I decided to google the top #1 songs of the past 30 years w/ lyrics and see what happens :

2011 - LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem
Lyrics pretty straight forward right? Party this party that....

2001 - Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment
Lyrics..granted I didn't even know who the fuck Lifehouse was but knew the song played on the radio...obscurity, haven't seen what Lifehouse is up to these days..

1991 - Bryan Adams - Everything I Do
Another sappy love song and if it wasn't for the fact that I was seeing a girl who loved Robin Hood back in the day I wouldn't of scored if it hadn't been for this song..but I digress

1981 - Kim Carnes - Betty Davis Eyes
Mmm kay I was 2-3 years old when this song was #1 but lyric wise as with the others aside from LMFAO you kinda see some sort of you know story telling? Maybe romance and love longed loss or whatever BS they fed us back then but still what's Lifehouse, Bryan Adams, Kim Carnes up to these days?

1971 - Three Dog Night - Joy To The World
So pretty much hippy love fest/stoner political innuendo with at least 1 worthwhile verse I guess then the rest is Party Rock Anthem repetitive chorus

1961 - Bobby Lewis - Tossin' & Turnin'
If it weren't for my dad I wouldn't of liked this song...but structure wise and content it's pretty much shit but catchy and well we know what a huge footprint Bobby Lewis made on Rock n Roll......

I could keep going but it's pretty sad state of affairs I mean on those same lists you have

2011 - Adele who I think, if it weren't for Amy Winehouse dying and being a junkie, is going to be leaving a lasting mark on music in the 21st century even the rest of the list....Katy Perry, Pitbull, Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, Lady Gaga...well maybe Lady Gaga will get the bringing back the Madonna phase of music in the 21st century but come on...

2001 - Alicia Keys - Fallin' by far more covered and played on the radio than Lifehouse but on that list you've got JLO w/Ja Rule, Matchbox Twenty, Eve & Gwen Stefani, Train, Dido..Lenny Kravitz, Janet Jackson...well okay take that back Dido, Janet Jackson, Lenny Kravitz, Gwen Stefani and Rob Thomas have done pretty good for themselves well I dunno about Dido so much and JLO needs to keep that ass in shape and her life in the headlines before she fades to obscurity which I guess is why American Idol is where celebrities go to relive their old fame...

1991 - MAN the top 10 is nothing but sad but nostalgic! Color Me Badd, C&C Music Factory, Paula Abdul, Amy Grant?!?! Oh and the unforgettable EMF, Extreme with the really memorable Hi Five and Timmy T.....umm yeaaaah back when you could use your Casio to record your hit single. You have to goto the top 40 to even get to REM's Losing My Religion #33 and Lenny Kravitz It Ain't Over till it's Over #35!

1981 - Again you have to look through the top 50 to get to some hits that are still memorable like John Lennon Just Like Starting Over #4 well I guess you can count Rick Springfields Jesse's Girl on the list..but come on PAT FUCKIN BENATAR #46 Hit Me With Your Best Shot??!?! Blondie didn't even crack the top 10 with Tide is High or Rapture and this is Debbie Harry at maximum fuckability here!

1971 - The Temptations Just My Imagination #9?! John Denver beat The Temptations?! Granted Take me Home Country Roads was a decent song and Toot's just blew it over the top! Janis Joplins Me and Bobby McGee, Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine, Tina & Ike Proud Mary #55, The Doors Riders on The Storm #99 and Love Her Madly #94?! Like seriously?!

1961 -

No comments:

Post a Comment